Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What Were Their Parents Thinking?

A lesser known fact about Sherlock Holmes is that he has a brother. Said brother is reportedly as smart as Sherlock, but just a bit lazy. Sherlock goes to him when all other resources are depleted. His name? Mycroft.

Let us go back in time now, shall we? Ah, here we are, the birth of Mycroft...

"Oh dear, isn't he sweet?"

"Yes, he certainly is."

"What shall we name him?"

"Hmm...I've got it! Mycroft!"

Ditto that for Sherlock's birth.

Ok, seriously? Who names their kids Sherlock and Mycroft? One of my theories is that while under the influence of some overpowering emotion, the child born first received a rather odd name. The parents, not wishing to make the first child feel badly about his name (e.g. Sherlock and John), named the second child something equally strange.

All righty, whatever the reason, Sherlock Holmes is a very cool sounding name, despite it's impracticality.

"Sherlock, come inside, it's time for dinner!"

Ha ha.

But I just don't know how I feel about the name Mycroft...

9 comments:

  1. lol! Brilliant reasoning, my dear friend.

    MY theory, though not as solid as yours may be...is as follows:

    Each parent put sounds for the first syllable into a hat. Same for a second hat. Each parent picked out one syllable...THANKFULLY, it didn't end up as Shercroft or Mylock. *dies*

    Ok, ok, I have to admit, yours makes more sense. And is more probable. But, I do agree...Sherlock Holmes just SOUNDS right. *nods*

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! Your theory made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my theory:

    Mr. and Mrs. Holmes were odd.

    Here's an alternate theory:

    Mr. and Mrs. Holmes were *very* odd.

    And here's my final theory:

    Mr. and Mrs. Holmes, being very smart people, knew their kids would be geniuses as well. They were able to predict the two major computer manufacturing companies, and named their children after them: Mycroft much resembles Microsoft(they obviously wouldn't name their kid Microsoft; that would just be ODD odd...), and Sherlock sounds like some type of tree, and apples grow on trees, and the company Apple... uh... is called apple. And that's how it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh Sam...that's brilliant :D *dies laughing* I think that's the winning theory, for funniness. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. rofl! *bestows the winning theory award upon Sam*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if they ever called him "Sherly" or some strange thing, which caused him to become unemotional, since I think a young boy would be slightly bothered being called "Sherly" growing up...Shirly is a girl's name... *thinks about that one for a moment* Maybe that's why he never talks about his family, because they embarassed him. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, scarred for life, like the boy named Sue. lol Only Holmes lashed out with intelligence rather than violence. I always liked Holmes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg, Sam's post was *hilarious*. rotlf =D I think that people in Britain just have coolish weird names that are somehow attractive in different forms...

    (Did that make sense?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, Mary, it did make sense :D lol

    ReplyDelete