Hah! Did I grasp your attention yet?
Yes, I said 'Missing Tooth.' And I said it for a reason.
While skimming the Holmes stories this morning for a reasonable and worthwhile blog post topic, I ran across this tidbit from "The Empty House"
.:. "My collection of M's is a fine one," said he. "Moriarty himself is enough to make any letter illustrious, and here is Morgan the poisoner, and Merridew of abominable memory, and Mathews, who knocked out my left canine in the waiting-room at Charing Cross, and, finally, here is our friend of to-night." .:.
However did we miss this, the first time, and even the second time through the canon? And, for some reason, I really cannot picture Holmes missing his left canine. I mean, be honest...
Any thoughts?
- Bre
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah, I can't either. Although, the Sidney Paget illustrations never show him smiling with his mouth open, so that's probably the reason. ;) I'd love to see that scene filmed though: Holmes getting into a fight at the hospital waiting room, lol.
ReplyDeleteThen again, it doesn't say whether it's his lower left canine or the upper one. If it were the former, it might not show...
oooh...that's an interesting thought! I didn't think about that at all...actually, both of those thoughts are interesting. Though I'm rather glad JB wasn't missing any teeth - that'd ruin the image (lol)
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, that would be interesting. Another Solitary Cyclist moment, perhaps? After all, the man responsible apparently was pretty important, if he made it into Holmes' index ;)
Or mayhap he got it replaced...having a tooth visibly missing would make you easier to spot, I should think.
ReplyDelete