Alright. It's getting closer and closer to the release date (Christmas Day, of all days) of the new Sherlock Holmes movie, starring Robert Downey, Jr. as Sherlock Holmes and Jude Law as Watson.
Now, if you've ever SEEN Robert Downey, Jr., you KNOW he wouldn't make a good Holmes just by the looks of him. I mean, it specifically says in the books that Holmes is very thin and has 'austere' features. And...Robert Downey, is NOT very thin (not that he's fat either. He's too healthy looking) and...he does NOT have 'austere' features.
Now, for Watson. Jude Law LOOKS the part. Whether he can act the part is a whole other story. I don't know much about him, but I would personally make him Sherlock Holmes. He looks more the part. I'd take Downey right out of the picture.
Heh. Judging from the trailer (which, if you have not seen, DON"T SEE IT. It's bad. If you have, you should agree with me, if you're even a Holmes fan), it's probably going to at LEAST be rated PG-13, if not R. Probably R. And that's just the Youtube trailer. I do think they're just using the name Sherlock Holmes to draw more people in. It's supposed to be a major action adventure movie. And...again, judging from the trailer, they really emphasize Holmes' boxing.
Which...he doesn't do, even once, in the entire canon. I do think he only mentions his boxing days once or twice.
Which brings me to the question: Does Holmes have a six pack? If you answered 'no', judging from what we conclude from the books, guess again. Robert Downey does, and you see it, in the boxing scenes, for most of the trailer. When he's not making out with Rachel McAdams, who plays...guess who...Irene Adler.
Very odd. *laughs* Er...strange, WEIRD (lol Grace), unearthly, singular, grotesque...the list goes on.
That brings me to another point. One of the main storylines is Holmes' relationship to Irene Adler. Which, I might say, is NOT much except for admiration for her outsmarting him in the books. Only they take it and expand it, and push it way out of bounds. You'd know what I mean, if you watched the trailer. But don't. lol I'm not going to go there. It's like...mushy gushy romance. Which is NOT Holmes. Or even Watson! He wasn't even like that with his fiancee!! GAH!
And you know, I've deduced this much from only the trailer. It's gonna be bad. So I forewarn you, my fellow Holmesians,
DO NOT SUPPORT THIS MOVIE.
I'm not going to. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ick!!!! That sounds *awful*. Like, *really, really, really terrible*!
ReplyDeleteHolmes can't *like* people! He's not that human...if you know what I mean. And anyhow, even if Holmes was capable of that, he wouldn't stoop that low. (Not that liking people is low, but for Holmes it would be.)
I most definitely will *not* support it, go see it, or anything. I've heard from other people that it didn't seem like it would be very good. So, I suppose me and Grace will be satisfied and happy with the Jeremy Brett Holmes dvds we ordered from our library. I'm excited. Excited me -> =D
Yay Bre! Weird! =D Sounds dumb...which is sad, 'cause it could be so good! *sigh*
ReplyDeleteWell...not to be a partypooper here, but ummm... I've been waiting for this movie for a year now. For me, Robert Downey Jr. is an amazing actor, same with Jude Law. I really liked the trailer, though I suspect that the movie may contain not-so-good things. I agree that it may be different than most Holmes stories. I aslo don't fully trust Guy Ritchie (the director). But all in all, it's just an mystery action-packed movie, and I'd like to see it, though I hope it gets a PG-13 rating and not an R. One thing that will always remain: Holmes will be Holmes, and not Downey Jr.
ReplyDeleteJust showing my prespective here.
Well, we all have our own opinions and we don't have to agree. :)
ReplyDeleteBre!!! I love all of the new pics of Holmes!!!! What can I say? He is so awesomely amazing!!! =D
Yes, I suppose you're right Seth. I just really think that if they're going to name a movie "Sherlock Holmes" then they should probably stick to the true facts. Which, judging from the trailer, they're not doing :)
ReplyDeleteBre! The pic of Holmes is just one now! Last time I was on they changed and it was sweet.
ReplyDeleteOh, oh, guess what....we got a ton of Holmes dvds from our library now!!! So far we've watched The Naval Treaty, The Greek Interpreter, A Scandal in Bohemia, The Dancing Men, The Copper Beaches, The Norwood Builder, and The Blue Carbuncle. I absolutely love Jeremy Brett as Holmes! He's perfect! So is every single episode...love them all!
ReplyDelete