I came across this poem in a book I just finished reading called "The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," and thought I would share it. It was written by Mollie Hardwick in 1987 (as far as I can tell...there's not much info on the same page)...You should read it aloud, it didn't make as much sense the first time I read it to myself but I read it aloud just now and it sounded better :D But anyway, it's very cool, so enjoy!
"221 B"
Coin of ours can never ransom
Years now prisoner to Time:
Roars the bus, where once the hansom
Trotted on the trail of crime.
No more now a Stradivarius
Played by fingers long and fleet
Sounds the dirge of plans nefarious
Foiled by Him of Baker Street.
Could we, with an eye clairvoyant,
Find the dear remembered door,
Which, with trembling, many a client
(Fair or famous) stood before?
Here it was that Roylott forced an
Entry, like some savage bear;
Here, bright eyes of Mary Morstan
Fell to Watson's ardent stare.
Were a time-restoring charter
Granted by the grace of Heaven,
Who would not this tired age barter
For a night of 'eighty-seven,
When, as fog through pane and curtain
Softly grey comes creeping in,
Wise--Immortal--Strange and Certain -
Sherlock plays his violin.
- Mollie Hardwick (C) 1987
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I. Love. It. Beautiful.
ReplyDelete"Wise--Immortal--Strange and Certain-
Sherlock plays his violin."
Wow. I wish I had sweet poem skills, because I would totally have loved to have written that.
lol I know. I am not a poet, for sure. I can't write a poem to save my soul...I tried my hand at it once, and looking back at them, I feel very strange. lol They were wierd. I think I'll stick to novels and short stories.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah...and don't you find it very strange, that her last name is Hardwick? *giggle* That's the last name (with an 'e' on the end) of the guy who plays Watson alongside JB :D
ReplyDelete*That was sooooo cool!!!* I also wish I had written that. The last little part made me get goose-bumps up my back. lol
ReplyDelete