
One of the things that I love about Sherlock Holmes (and Watson too...this also pertains to him) is his use of really big adjectives.
I'm not going to blog forever about it but I found this quote in one of the books the other day and just started laughing...it was just like Holmes to use such big words to modify a tiny one...I thought I would share, just for the fun of it in case none of you had noticed it before.
"A lie, Watson - a great, big, thumping, obtrusive, uncompromising lie..."
- The Valley of Fear
Isn't that awesome? I love how they just continue to get bigger...that's the beauty of Victorian London (and possibly modern London...I dunno, Grace, do Londoners today use massive adjectives? lol)
I don't know how he managed to say that all in one breath. I can't even say that without putting the "un" from "uncompromising" in front of the "obtrusive." *laughs*
Hope you had a good laugh over that one :D
(picture - Of course, it's Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes...hot on the trail of a criminal, most likely. Love the hat :D)
Ah yes, the beauty of Holmes' adjectives is unsurpassed. And yes, they do. On the tube, some girl got on and put on all of her makeup. Yeah. Then she started talking on her cell phone and talking about her horrendous life, horrendous job, and *completely* horrendous family members. Yeah. lol
ReplyDeletelol! That's pretty funny...I do like the "rubbish" thing though, that's awesome :D
ReplyDeleteI never heard that story, Grace...it's pretty funny, though. =D LOL Amazing post, Bre. I started the Sherlock books!!! They're amazing so far. I've only done like 5 pages but it' still really good so far!
ReplyDeletelol Mary...and they get better as they go :D Grace, it appears we have the beginnings of another fanatic Holmesian on our hands :D This is so fun!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm about 1/3 of the way through with the Adventures. I went to sleep shaking last night after reading one of the stories...oh my goodness, that one was so freaky.
ReplyDeleteDone with the Adventures and well into the Memoirs! Yay!
ReplyDelete