Monday, June 15, 2009

Holmes Book Review: "The Canary Trainer"

I'm hoping to start a series of related posts with this one; all relating to various published books about Sherlock Holmes NOT written by Arthur Conan Doyle. They are also known as "pastiches." So...yeah. I will write a few, and Grace is free to write a few too, I know she's read at least one or two of them (she recommended one to me :D).

This book is called "The Canary Trainer." The book jacket description is below in italics if you wish to read that without ANY minor (note the word minor) spoilers whatsoever. (yes, I did include a few spoilers but nothing major. You gather most of it from the book cover anyway :D)

It was written by Nicholas Meyer. Actually, take that back. It's directly from the memoirs or John H. Watson, M.D., and EDITED by Nicholas Meyer. (he claims to have found the original manuscript stowed away in a university library...)

So. It's a pastiche of Sherlock Holmes. But not just any pastiche. A really well-written, keep-to-the-original-facts pastiche. AND the best part is: Sherlock Holmes' brilliant mind is put to the extreme test against another of the most brilliant minds in fiction.

The Phantom of the Opera.

Alright, so the author had to take the liberty of pushing the story of the Phantom forward (by...10 years I think, not that much.) which he did, in a believable way, to make it fit in with the chronology. I didn't mind a bit. I didn't even notice, until I read the acknowledgements at the end, in which the author thanks Arthur Conan Doyle and Gaston Leroux.

The story really opens when Watson visits the retired Holmes at his home on the Sussex downs...keeping bees, of course. He has organized his notes and wants to know what exactly Holmes did during the three years he was supposed dead. (did you ever wonder?) Holmes first ignores the question, than faces it reluctantly, and the story is begun (narrated by Holmes but of course published by Watson.)

Holmes, after escaping death at Reichenbach Falls, as we know, took on the name "Sigerson" and posed as a Norwegian, which I believe was briefly mentioned in "The Empty House." He admits he decided to become 'someone else' for awhile - he dropped his detective work and immersed himself in the world of music - teaching violin in Paris, until his landlady (by no means as patient as Mrs. Hudson) threatened to kick him out. He then, after attending the Paris Opera, witnesses the resignation of a violin player for the orchestra (for the opera performances) and is informed that he may audition for the part the next day.

Holmes auditions, and of course gets the part - meeting the orchestra conductor, Gaston Leroux, in the process. He then learns that the man so eager to leave the opera the previous night did so because of fear - fear of the Opera Ghost.

Of course, this sparks Holmes' interest...he investigates this mysterious creature (of course, with an open mind - we all know he does not believe in the supernatural) on his own for awhile, interacting with such famous characters as Christine Daae, the star of the Phantom of the Opera; Raoul, the Vicomte de Chagny; the bumbling managers Mssrs. Moncharmin and Richard; and eventually, in a final confrontation in his house under the Opera Garnier, the Phantom himself.

And of course, no trip to the Paris Opera involving Sherlock Holmes would be complete without adding the famous soprano: the topic of so much debate regarding their relationship, Irene Adler (which, I must admit, puts an ever-so-tiny bit of romance in there between the two...Mr. Meyer did a good job making it believable though.) right in the middle.

Overall, the author did supurbly keeping to the character of Holmes...he didn't change at all, from manner to habits and it was surprisingly easy to imagine Jeremy Brett as Holmes solving the case (which, so far, only the original canon has been able to do for me). And of course, the other characters were exactly the same as always.

This book was so much fun to read, as it combined the best of both of my favorite books: the Phantom of the Opera and Sherlock Holmes. I give it a 4 & 1/2 out of 5 stars...and recommend it to any Sherlock Holmes fan (or Phantom Phan, but in this case, it's more of a Holmes book. It reads like one of his original cases.)

(Book jacket description):

"Located by computer in the bowels of a major university where it had collected dust for over half a century, this missing manuscript by the biographer of Sherlock Holmes reveals for the first time a hitherto unknown episode in the life of the Great Detective.

"Holmes, master sleuth, was also an accomplished violinist. Following his discharge from therapy with Sigmund Freud (see "The Seven Per-Cent Solution"), we now learn that he journeyed to Paris and there found employment as a pit musician at the Paris Opera.

"The year is 1891, Paris is the capital of the western world, and its opera house is full of surprises. First and by no means least is the sudden reappearance of the great love of Holmes' life, an accomplished singer from Hoboken, New Jersey.

"Second is the series of seemingly bizarre accidents - each more sinister than the last - allegedly arranged by the "Opera Ghost," an opponent who goes by many names and is more than equal to Holmes.

"Alone in a strange and spectacular city, with none of his normal resources, Holmes is commissioned to protect a vulnerable young soprano, whose beautiful voice obsesses a creature no one believes is real, but whose jealousy is lethal.

"In this dazzling, long-awaited sequel to "The Seven Per-cent Solution," the detective pits wits against a musical maniac, and we are treated to an adventure unlike any other in the archives of Sherlock Holmes."

There you have it :D The first Sherlock Holmes pastiche review on the blog. I seriously think anyone should read it though - it's a great book. Did I mention I read it in one day? *wink*

16 comments:

  1. Dude, I should go read it. Sounds fantastically amazing. I shall write a thingy-ma-bob on something or other this weekend...hopefully. Smack me if I don't. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That you should :D It was fantastically amazing. I found that I didn't even mind the little romantic parts (they weren't even really romantic. lol Which sounds wierd, but it'll make sense when you read it.)

    And...I probably won't smack you, seeming as I can't reach you very well. heh. If i don't see anything I'll write a nice little reminder though :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That sounds amazing...I should read it too. :) Random question that has nothing what-so-ever to do with Holmes...is the Phantom of the Opera a good book? Is it my reading level do you think? (I'm not a super advanced reader, but getting close. =D) Sorry about the randomness...but ya know, me and randomness are like this *crosses fingers* lol

    Oh, that's ok, Bre. I have a very easy reach to smack Grace. lol jk...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, random little thing here, at the camp petting farm, there are these two goats. Guess what their names are...........SHERLOCK & WATSON!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that not cool or what? I should have Grace post pics sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like the idea of a writer continuing some other writer's work, just like the Bourne books, someone continuing Ludlum's series. Still, with Holmes and the Phantom and all, it sounds mighty interesting. I guess I'll read it...if I could find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary - That's really funny, about the goats :D And also, I would have Grace read the Phantom before you go about doing so...it was kind of a bit scary at first, but now that I know the WHOLE story and everything it was fine.

    Seth - Welcome to the blog :D It was a very good book - I don't really care for most of the pastiches that I've read about Sherlock Holmes, but this one was very well written - in the same style and everything. So it wasn't hard to read because of that. I've read a couple of them that i really liked, but none have compared to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, and Mary, I was going to say too, that if you're reading Sherlock Holmes...then you wouldn't have any problems with the level of the Phantom :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bre! I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bre- Ok, shweet. I will have Grace do that. And I looked for "The Canary Trainer" at our branch of libraries...nada. I was sad. But, I'm gonna go on Barnes and Noble and see if they have it there. It's true when you said, or who ever said, that putting together Holmes and the Phantom is combining the two greatest minds that never existed. Yeah, I do know the whole Phantom of the Opera story, and I'm well aware of the fact that Phantom dude is pretty creepy. lol

    Seth- Yes, welcome to the blog! Glad you are enjoying it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They should...it's not a very old book. I'm surprised your library doesn't have it...ours had several copies, but then again, we live in a HUGE city and the libraries span over many many miles. lol But I hope you can find it.

    And also...the Phantom in the book, the ORIGINAL Phantom, is not the same as the Phantom in the movie and broadway versions. I mean, the storyline is pretty much the same but..I don't really know how to describe it. lol For the broadway and stuff, they removed several scenes...like the torture chamber (lol it's not as bad as it sounds...) and the Persian (I love the Persian :D). I dunno. I'd have to read it again to compare the broadway with the book, because it's been about a year since i read the book...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah...I was surprised that they didn't have it.

    Is the Phantom more dark and sinister in the book than how they portray him in the broadway shows and in the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uh...yeah, for the most part. I mean, he's 'dark and scary' but it's like...you feel bad for him. I CRIED for him, at the end. It's hard to explain. lol

    And...I must say, I feel terribly for not posting part 3 of the Gold-Engraved Box. So, therefore, I am working on wrapping up part 3 in my notebook and will post it before the end of the week :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah...I think I kind of understand what you mean...kind of...lol

    Oh, it's fine. =) Just as long as you do post it...it doesn't matter when or how long it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, so, I was just on my library website, and decided to once again check and make sure that they really didn't have 'The Canary Trainer'. They still don't, but I found this book: 'The Angel of the Opera: Sherlock Holmes Meets the Phantom of the Opera' by Sam Siciliano. The only thing about the book that is said was, "Based on characters created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Gaston Leroux." I should check it out and see if it's any good. It sounds similar to 'The Canary Trainer'...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I read that one. DON"T READ IT. It's terrible. TERRIBLE. GAH. Yeah. It's bad. lol I didn't like it at all...they changed all the characters from BOTH books too much...Raoul was almost like a girl, he cried so much; Christine was like..prissy and sassy...and Holmes was just not himself. And Watson wasn't there, they had a fight and blah blah blah. Yeah. It was not good. lol Trust me.

    And...I just read the Phantom again, and yeah, it still made me cry even the third time through :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my word! That sounds really bad...like, weird. Yeah, I most certainly won't read it. Yes, I trust you. =)

    ReplyDelete